What is Cloud Orchestration?
Cloud orchestration refers to the centralized management of automated tasks across different cloud systems. It involves controlling automated jobs from various cloud tools through a unified platform. By consolidating control through an orchestration layer, organizations can establish interconnected workflows. Often, IT processes are developed reactively, leading to isolated automated tasks and fragmented solutions. However, this approach is inefficient and costly. To address these challenges, IT operations decision-makers, in collaboration with cloud architects, are adopting orchestration to connect siloed jobs into cohesive workflows that encompass the entire IT operations environment.
Benefits of Cloud orchestration:
- Enhanced creativity in IT operations: A fully orchestrated hybrid IT system allows for a more innovative approach to problem-solving and efficient IT operations.
- Comprehensive control: Organizations gain a holistic view of their IT landscape, eliminating concerns about partial visibility and providing a single pane of glass view.
- Guaranteed compliance: Orchestrating the entire system ensures built-in checks and balances, leading to consistent compliance across the organization.
- Powerful API management: Orchestrated workflows can leverage APIs as tools to perform specific tasks triggered by events, resulting in seamless coordination and synchronicity.
- Cost control: Cloud-based systems require an automation-first approach to effectively manage resources, optimize costs, and potentially reduce overall expenses.
- Future-proofing: It allows IT operations teams to have peace of mind regarding the future of their IT environments, as orchestration enables adaptability and proactive management.
- Single point of control: The right tool can serve as a centralized control point for the entire system, ensuring superior performance and consistency.
- Automating tasks with cloud service providers: Modern workload automation solutions can orchestrate hybrid or multi-cloud environments, unifying the IT system and enabling seamless automation across different platforms and providers.
- Compliance and security updates across hybrid or multi-cloud: Orchestration simplifies the process of implementing compliance and security updates across diverse applications and cloud infrastructures, reducing manual effort and ensuring consistency.
- Hybrid cloud storage and file transfer: It streamlines the movement of data between public and private cloud platforms in a hybrid environment, ensuring fast, accurate, and secure data pipelines.
Given the prevalence of hybrid cloud environments today, cloud orchestration is vital for organizations to fully leverage the benefits of their hybrid landscapes. Proper orchestration acts as a single point of cloud management, ensuring seamless inter-connectivity between systems. When combined with workload automation, cloud orchestration also minimizes errors by reusing automated tasks as building blocks.